Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bernard "I'm a Doctor" (pic & sketch)


Bernard is one of the artist in the group that i strive to be like. I say that not because i'm envious of his talents but because it's extremely rare for him to make a bad drawing/sketch. He's part of the reason why i draw as much and as often as i do. Being surrounded by such great artist how could you not want to better yourself? In theory he is like a doctor who using pencils and oils as his tools.

Since i'm slightly on the topic of art, i will share my experience this past Wed at a Career Fair at Booker T Washington High School. I was invited by my friend James (who use to work with me at Old Navy) to come out. What really surprised me was how many students were actually curious about my artwork and about drawing. It's been almost a year since i've showed any of my pieces publicly outside of this blog. I didn't quite know how the set up was going to be like so i brought sketch pads, a painting, drawing that i had done over the past couple of years. All the things i could think of just in case they it was a form or booth setting. I really just wanted to show them that i do this for therapy not for money. People actually wanted to know what was the meaning behind this piece of work and why did i choice to draw this. One girl asked about every piece and came to the grand conclusion that i was looking for love. I replied of course, who isn't?
It was spiritually uplifting to talk with kids about who i am and what i love. The fair ended at 12:30pm and i didn't live until almost 2 because i was wrapped up in the moment. Everyone wanted to stop and chat about drawing and sketching, or some to see if i really was that good. They were amazed to see how quickly i could sketch. I guess me hanging out Tues nights doing 15, 20 min poses actually paid off.

No comments: