Thursday, April 2, 2009

Miles and Miles of Squares...

(this picture was taking with the help of a timer in my studio/lab perhaps one day it will become a drawing).

The song "Squares"plays over and over again my head as i listen to a song by the Beta Band. I never even heard of the Beta Band before watching the movie High Fidelity. In case you haven't seen it, it's a movie worth watching which combines relationship, searching for lost love, and find love all in one movie. I actually have the book on my most buy list but never got around to picking it up.
I read a term in a magazine today that rings very close to home. It had labeled just rapper artist as Eminem, Kid Kudi, and Kanye West "emo rappers." Recently Kanye West's last album which which dealt strictly with emotions and had none of the typical let's party attitude. That left me wondering am i an emo artist? Yes i strict deal with the subject matters of love and solitude. After i looked up the term, I don't know if i feel comfortable answering that question just yet.

What i like so much about this masquerade mask is allows people to hide their feelings. I know it's impossible for me to do so because i'm an artist. Which by default makes me an emotional being. I can't hide anything at all, because it's all written over my face. In the picture above am i happy, sad, or discontent? No one really knows unless i tell them. That's what i like having the ability to detach myself because the same thing can be said about my drawing. Could i have been talking on the phone with friend sharing a laugh or was i really pacing around my apartment on the verge of rubbing my bald head to no end?

No comments: