Saturday, March 15, 2008

"Where There's Smoke There's Fire" & "Maria's Guest Room"

This is a picture I took of Niki at The Tobacco Club on her birthday. In the background are Trey and Jenna dancing up a storm. Honestly, Niki is a very pretty lady but that wasn't the main reason i chose to paint this picture. I loved the way her hair flowed implying movement. It gave the impression that it photo was taken on the fly.
I may not have stated this earlier but my sketch pad is a my best friend. I have no idea what my sketches, drawing, or painting will turn out like until i attempt to draw them out (most of the time). Originally, i wanted more lines and wave in the background behind Niki. There's also a rough sketch of "Maria's Guest Room." Sometimes i prefer to do black and white ink drawing instead of color.
In " Where There's Smoke There's Fire" wanted to do something different this time. I had in my mind that i was going to use nothing but warm colors (reds, oranges, pinks, etc). The more i began to layer blues, reds, peach and others the more i realized i was being drawn back to it being a realistic painting. I always struggle with backgrounds. If you look very closely you can see 2 large semi arches which simply became buried. For the moment at least this painting is done but i still might go back and touch it up.
The best part about painting is the simply fact that it's an emotional release. I truly had fun with this painting because i tossed all the logic that I've learned aside and simply painted what i felt. This is very close to the original photo but then again it isn't. Color are used throughout the entire painting. The same blue that is used in the lantern's pole is also used in table's legs as well as in the bed frame and bedding.

No comments: