Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Norfolk Sketch Session VIII


Last nights sketch session was interesting. Not for anything in general just because the model's personality actually came out in our session. So often during thus drawing session i attempt to connect with the model. I know to the average reader it might sound like i was hitting on her or trying to make eye contact but I'm not. I'm simply trying to get a feel for her style her aura in hopes of making a better drawing. I know it a connection because I'm focusing strictly on her. Therefor i wear headphones often during these sessions trying to put myself in a state of Nirvana. That is the artist guru side of talking. Some of my sketches are extremely rough so hopefully one day I'll get around to finishing them.
On a smaller note this past weekend i had the pleasure of working a cultural art festival at Western Branch Primary where my mom teaches. Honestly i thought there could be nothing more rewarding than going out to the drawing sessions until that day. It's amazing to see how the children look at quilt makers, origami artist, Japanese oil painters, and others with such amazement. For the first time since I've been there they actually had a steel drum band perform live with brought a little bit of the islands to us. I was proud to say i love to do draw and you can have this also if you practice. The event that summed up the entire day was my very last group and I'm not sure how it happened but i picked on student to be our model. I always allow her classmate to draw her first than i follow. The way her face lit up when i had finished drawing her was priceless. That made the whole experience well worth it.

No comments: