Sunday, November 29, 2009

Me & The Soloist


While my sister was in town before her latest stint of heading to Johnson's & Whales again she let me borrow some movies. I thought i was a movie junkie but apparently i was wrong. My sisters are massed a collections of movies that makes my small collection look more like a yard sale variety. I borrowed The Last House on the Left and The Soloist. I really won't touch on The Last House on The Left to much because it was exactly what i expect it to be and from what i can tell 10x better than the original.

However The Soloist truly spoke to my artist side. Both leading actors worked well together and showed a range of character that allowed them to step away from the a-typical roles. One main phrase leaped off the screen and into my mind. Friends try to hard to change each other to force them to conform to what they believe is correct. Instead we should just accept others for who they are. I've struggled with that idea as i watched a younger friend wonder this way though life not really challenging himself at all. It even got to the point that our mutual friends as well as his mother wanted to have an intervention style of act of his life's progress.
I also felt the creative juices as i like to call it from Jamie Foxx's character as he worked himself into a zone where there was nothing but his music. It's hard for me to explain to others that feelings to be so artistically in tune with your medium that nothing else matters. The closest thing that most people have is when they read a book and better they know it 3 pages turn into 30 pages. Soon the entire book is finished and they are begging for the ride not to be over. That's how i feel when i pick up a pencil, pen, marker, paint brush, etc to create. I'm engrossed in something that is so liberating and expressive that i don't want it to let go. It's a natural high of sorts that i can't get from drinking, drug or anything else.

No comments: