Sunday, November 29, 2009

It Was the Day after Thanksgiving...


I awoke Friday morning early from a dream about a former girlfriend. In theory at least you would think you can control your dreams but this time i couldn't. I won't go into great detail with what actually happened but the end result was my dream mocked me. It spelled out the same fate that i know would happen in real life. One moment of weakness would eventually give way to reality of which is a broken heart. It doesn't pay to be a hopeless romantic in your dreams.

Since i haven't had a day after Thanksgiving off in ages i declared this year that i was not going to get caught up in the madness. I did what little shopping i was going to online. 3am or 5am for some people came and went and i slept in my bed. The reason being because there was nothing i could not live without in the stores. I hate to admit it but consumers in general get caught up in the price tag and not the season. I know this is the giving season and certain gifts would be perfect for others but is that truly the gift we're giving?The best gift you could give someone would be love and that's something you can't put a price tag on. I catch myself not saying that because i've been in the retail business for 14 years. I'm suppose to be a trained machine that pushes and drives sales but off the clock i should be able to speak my mind. I find myself questioning people's logic sometimes and i watch their behaviors. For example this is a real conversation that took place at Old Navy between me and some customers as i was attempting to straighten up a table:

Me:Hey Ms, what size are you looking for? I might be able to help you out
young girl: I looking for these tanks tops in a mediums
Me: Here's, a medium here! ( as i pull out a brown and blue tank)
young girl: nope, i don't' want that color? I was looking for something warmer (color)
Me: If you can tell me what color you're looking for i can help you out?
oung girl: Honestly i don't know what i'm looking for!
young girl: Sorry about the mess!
young girls mother replies: what are you apologizing for, you didn't make this mess?!

I should have screamed at the mother or barked her for teaching her daughter bad habits but i didn't. Instead i watched the sweat bubbled up on my bald head and i smiled my devilish grin. Just in case you don't' believe that scenario i'll give you another one that just shows how wit goes a long way. I was at the dreaded women's denim wall. It is a prove fact that once our denim goes on sale women lose their minds. They don't know what style/fit they want just that they want this color in their size. Our company has made it easier for women by only having 3 styles and even that seems to much for their "i'm happy there's a sale going on" mind frame. I was folding denim at that wall when a lady comes out. She's there with her boyfriend or husband and she begins to do pull out denim without really looking at the size. Then she rolls it back up and shoves it in the wall. About this time i'm getting a little frustrated but instead i ask " Hey Ms, what size are you looking for, i might be able to help you out?" She replies "Oh i'm just looking!" This is the moment with the brutal honesty and wit kicks in as i jokingly say " Well Ms, you look with your eyes, not with your hands." That's the top shelf sarcasm that can either make people mad or happy but i was being honest.

I want to apologize for my comment that women shopper were the worst thing ever created. No, it's not all shopper just the one that shop ever place i've worked at. How can you shop through a table that's already a mound of shirts as tall if not taller than you? Yes, our t-shrit tables weren't fully recovered but that didnt' stop them from digging and sling shirts aside just find the gem they were in search of. Why would you pick up a size that isn't even the one you want to buy just to look at it? Ladies if you're a large dont' pick up the x-small to see if you like it then roll it up and throw it back down. Perhaps i'm must frustrated because of my insane work schedule [ Fri 12pm-1:30am, Sat 8am - 5:20pm] or just maybe i'm over the holidays all together. People wonder why i don't like this time of year!!

No comments: