Sunday, August 16, 2009

Michael Richard (pics and sketches)



This piece i struggled with not because of the nature of it but because i tried to perfect it. What's the point of drawing or painting if you consider yourself to be a realist and it doesn't look like the person in question. I have a habit of tearing up and throwing away drawings that don't resemble the person in question. That's my main purpose for drawing. In the meantime i've been piecing together sketches that aren't as time consuming as this one. By doing so i give myself a sense of accomplishment because i did complete something.
I'm not sure exactly how i came up with the idea of using Michael Richards for a piece. I was searching for an image and his face came up. I didn't plan it but i became in grossed with his most recent public blunder. Not to long ago he was performing in a comedy club and used the N word quite regularly in an attempt to combat being heckled. Living in the cellphone generation that we're in his antics were recorded and played over and over again on every publication of media. Since this eruption he's fallen off the face of the earth. Oddly enough there has been others who've made racist, sexist, and even sexual orientation remarks and still be given a second chance.
As an artist i have a responsibility to record history. I also have a responsibility to myself to use my wit in my . I can also spoon feed you the way and give you clear cut defined answers similar to a hot plate from a diner but i'm smarter than that. More importantly i believe that my audience is smarter than that. I want my audience to say "yes that is Michael Richards and what's that over his mouth and on his shirt?!" Art is all about examining yourself and your subject and hopefully i've done both.
Power is given to words and the tone in which the words are you. For example you can utter the phrase "i love you" but if you don't believe it then why use the words at all. But that's another blog topic for another day.

No comments: