Thursday, June 10, 2010

Norfolk Drawing Group: 73: Enlightenment


Vacations = 95% change i will be at the drawing group. I didn't get the memo that tonight was male model night which is ok. I know others who refuse to draw nothing but females but overall this model wasn't to bad. I typically use color pencils but today was different. I had an earlier encounter that prompted me to use pen instead. My technique wasn't to bad this evening and for the most part the image registers in my 20 minute sketches.
We always tend to do is go out to eat afterwards and i had an interesting conversation with a fellow artist/teacher. He admitted to viewing my work online but said i wasn't fully applying myself. I listened as he told me that i was surrounded by great artist and that i was on the edge of doing something special but needed to get over the hump. He ran down a list of things that i should do: steer away from staged or posed photos were the photo reference isn't natural, round my drawings more to where they don't seem so flat, and make the artwork my own In a nutshell get serious about my artwork and focus on getting better. The odd thing is that i look at some of my drawings and i think the same thing. So he wasn't to far off base and if he things the same thing as i am then it must be correct. I guess i need to go back to the drawing board again.

No comments: