Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Free Lil' Wayne (or better yet, free myself to just have fun)

This painting came about in the most randomness of ways. When i typically paint i want everything to be a cookie cutter version. Everything neatly laid out with very little other visions of imagination. However this time i just wanted my painting to occur through a natural process. No spending more time thinking about how i would paint the background or what colors i would use for skin tones. I just wanted to be artistically free. So armed with 4 colors of paint i allowed it to drip and run until i found the feeling that i was looking for.
My friend Cara's son just had a birthday and i wanted to give him something that is more personally. Something priceless that you can't find at your the run of the mill store. My philosophy is that everyone needs at least one cool piece of art in their house. I know one of his favorite rappers is Lil Wayne and just like him about 10 years ago i feel in love with his lyrical skills. Now he's one of the hottest rappers alive with widely respected musical talents in multiple musical genres. So this past Sunday when i was searching for photos references of him i stumbled across other artist who had created artwork of him. Their artwork was stylized and unforgettable. I was also amazed by the opening credits of World Cup games that are being held in South Africa. I thought the organic design shapes that they used were inspiring. Less than 24 hours after printing the image up this is what i came up with.

No comments: