Sunday, February 20, 2011

Norfolk Drawing Group #83



My fellow artist/painters have been challenging me for some time to paint. "Tommy bring your oils or acrylics and just paint!" Bernard told me eagerly on more than one occassion. I actually planned on doing so until a last minute schedule change at work prevented me from doing so. On a positive note i switched shifts with another co-workers so i could come out this past Tues night to paint. I didn't bring canvases like my fellow artist i simply had a large pad of canvas paper that was almost empty. Most artist will tell you that canvas paper is pretty much good for nothing at all. Yes it's easy to store but no real masterpieces are done on canvas paper. Just in case you didn't believe that the canvas paper was bad enough, i also brought off-brand acrylic paint. For those of you know don't know any acrylic paint that comes in small tubes and have a greater water to acrylic paint ratio isn't good for anything except washes.
So there i was with my paints, drawing easel and ready to work. Honestly i'm not completely devastated by what i created. Yes it's extremely loose something i can't get with my pencil work but it's expressive. Perhaps the amount of layers of paint will show the dissatisfaction i felt throughout that day. The last drawing i did because my fellow artists' pencil and marker works made me a little homesick. Maybe i should've stuck with the paints?!

No comments: