Friday, June 10, 2011

Macho Man and the birth of INTER

This piece came about in a very interesting way. I wanted to a tribute piece to Macho Man Randy Savage, the former spokesman of Slim Jim. I blogged before about me being a huge wrestling fan over the years. When i mention that i'm one to most people they almost always comment that 20 years ago or more is when they were really fans but they grew out of it. Well i'm one of the few that didn't but that is another story.
Macho Man passed away due to a heart attack after a car accident on the same day that the world was projected to end. This sparked a lot of savior style artwork proclaiming him to be Christ-like. I'm not here to comment on it religiously because everyone has their own beliefs even if it's not to believe at all. I simply wanted to go another direction. I drew inspiration from graffiti artwork. A fellow artist that i met lent me a dvd that he owned on the graffiti movement. Over the years i've been a closet graffiti artist. I remember sitting in church with my cousin, LJ spelling out our names in block form on a piece of paper. I wanted to create something that is probably more commercially acceptable and mixes the 2 genres.
No piece would be complete without the tag or name. I chose something a little different for my name, Inter. So one day if i even get a t-shirt design or create a line of clothes for myself Inter was be my name which is short for Intermission. Still i feel that is a whole other topic.

No comments: